Resources & Links
These are some further useful resources and links that are ideal interactions for high support needs people.
Essentially these resources underpin the values that Angela’s family advocates for a meaningful life and best supports in the community.
- Angela’s Best Support Indicators – An outline for anyone working with Angela to help to best support her.
- Hanging Out Program – The approach is simple: spend 10 minutes interacting with a person, giving them 100% of your attention.
- Shut Out: NDS consultation report – The Experience of People with Disabilities and their Families in Australia
- The 4 + 2 reviewing progress template is a tool from the Helen Sanderson associates website that we have found useful for having regular planning and review meetings with Angela’s service providers and supports.
- Every Moment Has Potential is an online learning resource developed specifically for disability support workers.
- An Ethics of Possibility by John O’Brien.
“When people count on personal assistants to make it through their day, what is possible for them depends to an important extent on the way those assistants show up in their lives.” An article on the importance of support matching and the attitudes of carers when supporting an individual.
The positive differences between ‘assistance’ and ‘creative allies.’ Bev Nugent.